What are the symptoms of dry eye?
Dry eye symptoms may include any of the following:
- Stinging or burning of the eye;
- A sandy or gritty feeling as if something is in the eye;
- Episodes of excess tears following very dry eye periods;
- A stringy discharge from the eye;
- Pain and redness of the eye;
- Episodes of blurred vision;
- Heavy eyelids;
- Inability to cry when emotionally stressed;
- Uncomfortable contact lenses;
- Decreased tolerance of reading, working on the computer, or any activity that requires sustained visual attention;
- Eye fatigue.
NOTE: If symptoms of dry eye persist, consult an eye care professional to get an accurate diagnosis of the condition and begin treatment to avoid permanent damage.